Monday, June 16, 2014

Table 22 | May 27, 2014


I was invited at a party and I have 3 seats but my grandma can't make it so I went with my mom. We were late and knowing no one except for the birthday celebrant and his wife we just enjoyed the food and the performance of his grandchildren. Not to mention that some guest was 10 years older than me while some are twice or trice my age. 

As we entered the hall, I get the why-do-these-people-are-invited stare and I feel like it was wrong decision to go but I know that it wasn't their party so why do give us a mean stare?

I was almost not in a mood because of the stares that I got but the performances of the grandchildren were the most high-light of the night. I was almost regretting attending the party then the girls played 'Cups' from Pitch Perfect then another kid played drums makes me drop my jaw and will you believe that my favorite band cheer me up in a middle of this party? Yes, another kid played the drums together with "Looking Up" with Hayley Williams' voice and I smiled and recorded the kid while playing it. And I feel so much better by that even I may look like crazy trying to do air drums through the whole performance (of course I knew the beat very well). Haha. Thank you Hayley for making me feel better. :)

Later on, a family friend gave a message and he said that he was asked by the children of the celebrant. I listen intently to his message and I discovered that I knew the birthday celebrant for less than a year and I don't know anything more about him but of course I know that he have a good heart. The man who was giving a message was a colleague and they know each other for 30 or so years and he mentioned some things that make me feel special that even I knew this man for less than a year he invited me together with his colleagues who knew him for years.

Then of course the night will never be complete without the speech of the birthday celebrant. He shared stories when he was still in grade school, high school, when he transfer from one university to another, to his life after college and pretty much on how did he became a successful man in a short but meaningful and inspiring speech. He even shred some tears while remembering the old days and he even said that there will always be ups and down but at end he gave us a reminder that "a glass is always half full, never half empty". And he even apologize because they can't invite everyone they know because it was really just a small gathering. I'm very grateful that I heard his speech.  

I was teary eyed while he was sharing his stories and I realized that everyone are passing the phase where we will encounter the ups and downs and being in our best self just to pass this phase and we should just keep moving and never give up and let's all be patient to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I believe now that there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel, maybe we just took the long route because I believe that there are no short cuts.

It was a privilege to be invited in such a small gathering and even he doesn't want to have a birthday like that he deserve it and I'm happy that I was a part of it and no matter how short the time I know him, it still the thoughts that count. :)


 "A glass is always half full, never half empty" - Sonny S.

No comments:

Post a Comment