Monday, June 09, 2014

Books Over Movies

*spoiler alert*



We watched "The Fault In Our Stars" today (Friday) and it was amazing! I'm having a little hangover right now that I can't sleep and I want to see it all over again.

As for my hangover, I'm reading tweets under #tfios and I get a little reaction from what I'm reading like "don't watch the movie if you haven't read the book" and somehow about people who are joining the bandwagon because of the movie. Of course the book still wins over movie but I'm not against to the people who don't read the book and decided to watch the movie but its an advantage if you read first. Its an advantage because you know what will happen but at the same time you are excited for what will be the outcome of the movie. As always, some scenes were better or worse in my head than in the movie or vice versa.  

In The Fault In Our Stars, there are a lot of small things that wasn't mentioned, scenes that were deleted and some changes from here and there but mostly the ending and they didn't even mentioned that they sell the swing online and Augustus have sisters and nephews; on the pre-funeral, Isaac said something funny and I was waiting for it but it was deleted. Same thing with The Perks of Being a Wallflower, the small things wasn't mentioned and some scenes were deleted. Well, I guess everytime that a book will be a movie there will always be that unmentioned stuff, cut scenes and changes.

Reading a book is a big challenge. There will always be a time that you read an introduction or information about it but then when you're in the middle of the story there will be this turning point where you don't want to continue anymore; when you are sick of the same situation from another book to the one you're currently reading; what if you're expecting too much from the author that at the end you were disappointed that he/she did not give justice to the characters or there will be no sequel but you think it should have one. The most challenging and the best part at the same time was creating the scene in your head, creating your own characters, imagining what they look like base on the authors description and imagining the unforgettable scenes. Spending your free time reading because you want to find out what will happen next. Attaching yourself with the characters and at the end, you need to move on because you're so attached that they lives changes but your reality is still the same.

While in movies, you sit there in a theater or in your couch for 1 1/2 hour or so and sometimes you don't have any idea what will happen next (unless you read something about it from the internet). Usually, when you watch in theater, its like you want to escape for a little while and forget the reality or you just wanted to laugh, cry, or be scared (when watching different genre of movie) or maybe you just want to feel something (if that make sense). If the movie is a tearjerker then I guess you are trying so hard not to sob on the theater but if your watching from your couch then congratulations, you can cry as long as you want. However, if it was a horror one if your in a theater its less scary since there are other people around you but when you're at home you'll be freaking about it that you already imagine it will happen in a while (unless you love horror films). If you love the movie and its a new release then you can't watch it all over again unless you want to pay again but if there's a DVD for that then you can watch it the whole day.

I think that's the difference of the book and the movie itself.  

Of course its a plus if the movie have a good cinematography.

That's my reaction to book-become-movie bandwagon. Next in line will be "If I Stay" on September and "Gone Girl" on October. I'll expect the same thing but I'll read the book first (because I have a copy ever since) maybe a week or two before the movie release and I don't know if I'll rant again on what was cut or changed as I said, it will always be like that.  


Okay?
Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment