Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Book . If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
official poster for the movie

This book was full of life realization. At first I thought I'll have an ugly-cry moment but it didn't happen but I shred a few tears on some parts.

If you haven't read the book then I advise you to stop from this part now because I'm not sure if I will not spill some spoiler.

~

The whole book covered just a 24 hours event in the life of Mia with a lot of things changed in a day hell, even in just an hour. I can't imagine when all you want is to spend a free day with family and friends then in just a snap your whole life changed. She lost her parents and her only brother Teddy in a car accident and here she is can't figure it out on what is happening and the only thing that she was aware was she lost her family.

The major question that was thrown out on our way is 'Will you stay or will you go? ; will you continue to fight or just give up?' If you are Mia what will you do?

Not everyone will have a Gran and a Gramps who will still be there for you and some family friend, aunts, uncles, cousin, best friend and even a boyfriend or a girlfriend. I guess if just like Mia where you still have them then you will choose to stay.

Not everyone was given a choice just like her. I saw people die in just a snap and they weren't lucky to survive the way to the hospital. My dad died because of heart attack and I know he don't like that it happened that day. I think if he will be given a choice he will choose to stay then I guess he doesn't have choice.

When I was reading the book one thing hit me was, what if it happened to me? Not that I want to be involve in a car accident but what if I was 50/50 in a hospital bed and I was given a chance to choose?  And while I was given a time to decide I got to see my family and friends in a different way but at the first place, some of my close friends are not from nearby who will tell them? Will they visit me immediately? Will some not-so-close people care on what was my current situation? Will my ex-friends give a damn about me? Haha. Probably my e-mail notification on Facebook and Twitter will blow up because of their mention or on the wall post of never ending 'get well soon' /  'be strong' / 'don't give up' and that will be the most insane thing ever. One day they don't care and the next they care for you so much. Not everyone will care so much not until something will happen to you. Reality check, that what people do on other people's social networking sites.

But just like Mia, the hardest part will be deciding whether to stay or not.

Not everyone have someone like Adam who will make sure that he can see her immediately even he's not a family member or even its over visiting hours. Adam, who majority pull the strings when Mia decided to stay.

The book is so simple compared to the other books that made it to the big screen so I think there's a minimal chance that I'll hate the movie unless they changed something big. It is not as complicated as The Fault In Our Stars where we expected to hear some lines that was recited out loud by Gus and Hazel.

I recommend the book its just a day scenario but it was a different approach. I think somehow we need a book like this so we will not take every thing for granted.

I'll watch the movie but of course I know that it will be different than the book. Well, other people can appreciate it better in visual than reading.


I'll read 'Where She Went' later and it's a bout what happen after Mia decided to stay years ago. Here my friend is not what you will see in the movie unless there will be an epilogue in the upcoming movie and the ending will not just when Mia squeezed Adam's hand and Adam said 'Mia?'. That cut was good in the book but definitely not in a movie unless they will do a movie for 'Where She Went'. 


here's the official trailer for the movie 



here's a prologue



"Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you" - If I Stay | Gayle Forman

No comments:

Post a Comment