Thursday, December 22, 2016

UAAP S79 . Thoughts



Watching the G2 Finals while rooting for Ateneo as I wait for a major come back, I feel so sad. Sad because it can be the last day of Men's basketball (and yes, it was the last day). Congratulations to La Salle. 

My favorite season once again wrapped up. It seems like yesterday when we watched our first game. I'll miss it again but I'm looking forward to next year this early. Haha. Hopefully we can watch Football next year because we've been planning to watch a different sport and we haven't done it yet. 

During the Finals aka the "dream finals", I prepared to have good food while watching at home and even planned to have popcorn but I wasn't able to buy ahead of tip off. I really wonder if the hype for this "dream finals" is as high as their first meet during eliminations but then it turned out that first elimination hype is better than this (as for me). 

As I'm rooting for Ateneo during Finals, I can't feel any hype about it. It just feel like elimination, not being bias of maybe because FEU was in the Finals for 2 consecutive seasons but the hype for S77 and S78 was so insane! There were banners, fans trash talking to each team on social media, ticketserye and even it wasn't a "dream finals" for others at least Boom and TJ or one of them was there (yep, that's included), also the fans and students! During S77 NU and FEU was cut somewhere separating each side but since UST and FEU hold the same yellow/gold color it's hard to say where was the line separating the fans during the Finals but do you remember the Popoy/Basha signs? Haha! That meme where they changed the face of the UST students and replaced by Raymar Jose with a caption of "Go Jose! Go Jose!". Haha. 

Though I know that's can't be compare to the rivalry of ADMU and DLSU it was the feeling that was lacking. Sure if you are a fan/alumni/student/employee of both school you will feel the hype. Yeah, maybe because FEU wasn't in the Finals this year but the facts are real deal like one huge thing is the crowd. I believe that both games never reached 18k so for sure the tickets wasn't sold out. Sorry guys I'm so proud that I'm part of a record breaking crowd during S77 where we fill up Araneta for 24k and 25k. 

One thing I mentioned to my friends that's okay that we didn't went to the Finals because it will be hard to push a back-to-back most especially when DLSU have all the hype. Yes, Ateneo was the only team that beat them during eliminations but doesn't mean they can also beat them once again most especially in the Finals. I also believe that Prince Orizu is a perfect match to Ben Mbala he just need to be careful with fouls. Not everyone will agree but FEU vs DLSU during eliminations are one of the best games this season. 

This season went fast and definitely one of the most intriguing because of the things that was changed, late schedule release and the uninteresting arrangement of games. that's just small issues that we personally took as a big one but this season was so good and it was also full of surprises. Surprises like the final result of the standings where UST falls at the bottom and how Adamson reached the 4th spot and was back on the F4 after 4/5 years later. On how and why Alfred Aroga was originally a center but mostly playing on a guard position. How was UE also ended up at the bottom when they didn't really lose the players they have last year. Most especially UP wasn't at the bottom anymore! 

S79 was full of surprises and I can't wait for next year since FEU will be the host. 

Congratulations again to DLSU for bagging the ROY, MVP and championship also to Jeron for finishing at the top. 

And the curse of MVP might be over. 

See you next season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment