Sunday, December 27, 2020

My 2020 Goal



It was last year when I finally decided that in 2020 I will get my lasik done. 


Read and watched other people’s experience about it and I learned few things about it. All of their experiences are true, it is painless, you will be okay after the surgery and if you are trusting the clinic/facility and the doctors, you will be in good hands. 


Since all of the experiences are already shared on socials, I decided to write about my “why’s”. 


Why Lasik is my 2020 goal. 2020 in 2020 as other will say it. 


Why lasik? Cliche as it is, here’s my story. 


I started to wear glasses during 3rd year high school (15 years ago) even I already have poor eyesight who knows when it started. 


Contact lens are fine but I also went through the time where I don’t remove it at night just so it will not be hassle the next morning. I think I started with contact lens during JS Prom. 


Through the years, you have to buy contact lens and solutions and you really should have glasses as well. It’s pricey as well and you will really save somehow when these things will be out of the monthly necessities. 


My last glasses which was in 2017 already costs 5,000-10,000php depends on your frame of choice and on your eye grade and to some customization. I've been using it until this year. 


When you have an eye grade of 400 and up, you should really consider lasik to see the world without depending on glasses. Somehow with my OCness, you will really spend if you want to look good on everyday with the glasses of your choice. I stick to few specific glasses that I used because I believe that my ears are not on the same level that most glasses will not look good on me.   


I hate depending on something for me to function very well. My life literally depends on my glasses 24/7 because I'm so blind without it. 


I love to travel as well and you also need to make sure you have your glasses and contact lens packed unless you will leave half of your life at home. Taiwan trip make me decide really that I like to have Lasik done as well. 


When I decided last year during Christmas season, I started researching about the different clinics who offers Lasik surgery. Instead of me changing my glasses last year, I waited for a while to have my eye checked if I’m eligible for the procedure. 


Wear my last contact lens in January 4, 2020 and scheduled an appointment for January 9, 2020. You need to rest your eyes from contact lens for a while before Lasik since contact lens makes our eyes dry. 


I’m not sure what will really happen at first but I'm willing to trust the process and for me to be comfortable with it, I choose American Eye Center. 


On my first check up, they did the usual test and the doctor find some issues because of my dry eyes that’s when she told me that I need to have drops for 2 weeks just to see improvements there is a 95% that I’m eligible for it but then that 5% is also a huge one if we are talking about eyesight. 


Returned after 2 weeks and there was improvement but she assured me that she wants to have that 100% so she make me returned after another 2 weeks with different drops this time. Probably there was some improvement but it was slow she make me returned after a month (March 10, 2020). 


Covid was already circulating that time and that was also the last time I was out in the city before the lockdown on March 15, 2020. 


Supposedly I should go back after 2 weeks but lockdown so, it was cancelled and it was not an emergency case, why do I need to be bothered about it although I really want it to be done but then, I have to wait. 


During lockdown, I’m glad that I found the drops on the drug store and I just continue to do it for the next months. The drops that I was prescribed was for dry eyes and during that time, I was able to observe my eyes more. Though there are times that I really do forgot but I always see them so I was able to be reminded. 


Fast forward on months where we are somehow being back to normal, I once again experience headache that might be related to my eye grade and I’m not game to spend maybe 10,000php for another set of glasses and good thing that American Eye Center is already open, I tried to book another appointment just to be sure if this is the right time for me because personally, I feel some improvement with my dry eyes issue. 


November 19,2020 was my schedule and I got my go signal. Continuing the drops during lockdown wasn’t bad after all 


Coordinating with the schedule of Dr. Sy, I decided to do it on December 1st. Why not welcome my favorite month with a bang. 


Everything went so fast on the day of surgery. Pre-op test were done in a snap then the next thing I know I was being prepared for the operation. 


The things you read are true, it was painless that you will never feel a thing but I felt that my heart almost jumped out of my chest then it was done. 


It was a little bit blurry at first but I was able to walk up to the parking and then we are back home. Ate snack before I locked myself in my room for recovery. I prepared everything already, cleaned my room, stock up water and prepare my playlist so I will just tell Alexa what to play. 


Your eyelid will force you to keep your eyes closed and sleep and that's the healing process. 

3 drops for the next few hours with 4 hours interval. 


Few hours later I can see the world without glasses. 


Although I may still need to use reading glasses after how many years but maybe as long as I will not be back on 400 eye grade, I think I’m fine. 


Went back to the clinic the next day for the follow up check up and I was good. 


Done with the 1 week check up and still good just need to stick on my drops for dry eyes but other than that, I’m really good. 


Thankful that I was able to do it before this year ends and despite of being in the middle of a pandemic, I felt safe during my check up and mostly during surgery day. Thankful for Dr. Sy and the staff that was helpful that day. 


As these times we are always on screen, limit your time with it. Control it. It will be a huge different if you lessen your screen time. 


If you have budget why not try to get check if you are eligible for the procedure it was really a life changer decision. You just need a few hours for check up then maybe 2-3 days rest including the surgery day itself. 


I’m still trying to convince my sister to do it as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment