Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Book . Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing


Yes, I read this book after hearing the news about Matthew Perry who played Chandler Bing on the hit TV Series, Friends. 


I never knew that he wrote a book and released it just last year. 


I can’t remember when I discovered the book but of course as everyone talked about him everything will come out like some of his very notable scene from Friends, his ex-girlfriends and then this book. 


Joining the band wagon but definitely not just for the clout. 


I’m no huge fan of Friends but I watched it I think in 2017 and I’m re-playing it on the background when I have nothing to watch. I can’t even pick a favorite from the six of them and I can’t tell you which character I can relate too the most. I do have some favorite scenes but nothing really that I memorized maybe except to when Phoebe found out about Chandler and Monica and saw them from Ross’s apartment. I love the Reunion and I’m happy that they were able to do that. 


Going back to the book, I think this is the first time I read a memoir. As always books can be boring to start with but when you were able to ride on it you will get it most especially that I wanted to know what this book is all about. 


Wow this book. I never thought that he will open so much about his struggle with addiction. I just can’t figure out the time line of the happenings because some doesn’t include much detail on how old he is or what year it was. He do mentioned some life events that was happening while filming season _ and season _ of Friends. He even detailed the reason why he looks thin or not on certain season pilot episode or finale. 


I will never see Friends the same way knowing that Matthew Perry was already an addict most of the time he was on Friends. One thing, I’m glad he was able to finish the series and be present at the reunion. 


We may never know the real reason of his passing but man there are so many events in his life where he almost didn’t make it. 


Despite of not being a huge fan of Friends, I still know him and I’m willing to know his story. 


Some point in this book I can totally relate to what he is saying. I’m not telling you that I’m an addict but just when you feel alone in this reality. 


There are certain lines that made me cry because of what was his regrets maybe. He was able to figure some things out and realized the reasons of his whys but maybe if he can go back for sure he will do it in a very different way. 


Later on I realized that he is the one who narrates it on the audio books. I heard some lines and man it hit more different.  


If you are huge fan of Friends you should read it but if you just want to see Matthew as just Chandler I still recommend it. Really though it is such a beautiful book and I’m happy that he was still able to do this one. 


“Addiction is like the joker. It just wants to see the whole world burn” 


Matty, I’m not your biggest fan but I was able to read your book and you will not just be Chandler Bing to me anymore. I hope you are now at peace and without any pain to feel. 



“Ask for me, I was just grateful to have made it one more day. When you are at the bottom, the days are longer. I didn’t need an Oscar, I just need one more day.”


Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing

Matthew Perry 

(Aug 19, 1969 - Oct 28, 2023)


No comments:

Post a Comment